Learn about the aquatic ecosystem and better techniques for responsible diving.
When you have been diving, no doubt you have been amazed at the variety of underwater creatures that you have encountered. While they may look very interesting, it is likely that you have little knowledge of their names or their behaviour and lifestyle. The underwater naturalist speciality will introduce you to different aquatic life and include an overview of responsible human interactions with aquatic species as well as respecting them and their environment.
What’s Involved: Some of the topics covered are:-
- The planning, organisation, procedures, techniques, problems and hazards of diving in different aquatic environments.
- A basic overview of major aquatic life groupings (kingdoms and phyla).
- Factual information that dispels myths of potentially dangerous aquatic life.
- An overview of basic aquatic life interactions and associations.
- Responsible human interactions with aquatic life.
- Diving technique used to help preserve bottom dwelling aquatic life and minimize aquatic life disturbance.
On completion of the course you will be awarded the PADI Underwater Naturalist Speciality diver award. The Underwater Naturalist Speciality can be accredited as one of the five speciality ratings a diver has to attain to achieve the highest non-instructional qualification on the PADI curriculum, Master Scuba Diver.
Open Water Diver (or Junior. Open Water) or equivalent.