Stoney Cove quarry was originally a granite mine dating back to the beginning of the 19th century. In 1850 a train line was added to move the granite more easily from the Top Pit to the centre of Stoney Stanton. Spring water was a perennial problem for the quarry, but was a boon in 1958 when quarrying at the site ceased. By 1963 diving pioneers were using the quarry to practise their hobby. Over the next fifteen years Stoney Cove was used to train North Sea oil divers and in 1978 Stoney Cove Marine Trials Ltd was formed to fully exploit the site on a commercial basis.
Stoney Cove is used for scuba diving training as well as pleasure dives. On shore facilities include a dive shop, diving school, gas filling station and a public house. The site has a range of depths to 36 metres (118 ft), whilst the underwater attractions include:
Stanegarth, claimed to be the largest inland wreck in the UK
Viscount aircraft cockpit, small aircraft wreck a Wessex helicopter
Nautilus submarine, galleon, wooden boat and a bus
Archways beneath the pub
Monster (location unknown)
4-metre block house